Scottish Gov Exemption Scheme for Charities

For the attention of local charities

Water, sewerage and drainage charges are payable by occupiers of non-domestic premises which are connected to public networks (directly or indirectly. If you are a small charity registered with OSCR or a community amateur sports club then you can apply to the Exemption scheme for exemption or assistance with bills. You must apply by the 31st March 2017. 

  • Charities and CASCs with a gross income of less than or equal to £200,000 are eligible for a full exemption
  • Charities and CASCs with a gross income of less than £300,000 but more than £200,000 are eligible for a 50% discount on their wholesale charges.  
  • Income is determined by reference to accounts submiutted to OSCR. 
  • Following a public consultation the Scottish Governmnet concluded that charities and CASCs in possession of a permanent alcohol licence or operating a retail unit (including cafes open to the public) would not be eligible for the scheme. 

Charities and CASCs that meet one or more of the following conditions are not eligible:
 Possess a permanent alcohol licence under the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005 or its predecessors (the possession of an occasional licence does not affect eligibility); or
 the premises is a charity shop or other premises used for purpose of retailing new or second hand merchandise; or
 the premises operates as a café which is open to the public and operated on a regular basis to generate income; or
 the organisation is a Local Authority or an Arms-Length External Organisation (ALEO).

Go to Scotland on Tap for more information. 

English Chinese (Simplified) French German Italian Polish Romanian Spanish Urdu